And like that, we welcome in 2017! Whatever blessings and challenges you experienced in 2016, as 2017 begins and you head into your future, may grace, patience, and light see you through the year ahead. I am particularly fond of seeking the wisdom and inspiration of others, so from their beautiful brains, here are some of my favorites for new year’s quotes and reflections as we say hello to 2017.
Oh… I was almost forgot.
Last night I confirmed my new apartment in Oaxaca. I think it is fitting I’m going to live in an old house with the exterior painted in bird murals.
I also made the wrong call on how to wash my “brand new” vintage cocktail dress and it is now misshapen and two sizes too small. But I wore it anyway and after two kir royales I didn’t care one lick that my dress was too small or that I might be too old for the Ariana Grande ponytail. Or that I was tagging along on my folks’ fancy dinner date. The only redemption to Kansas winters is that the temperature actually merits wearing my vintage estate sale curated furs.
Another thing I did last night was I opened up and read my gratitude jar. In the jar were small slips of paper on which I wrote my happiest moment for each day or week. I did not keep up consistency for 366, but I had a lot of wonderful memories to revisit and reflect on as I said “goodbye” to a year which brought me so much change. I got the idea from Elizabeth Gilbert, and during the year I already decided I will definitely carry over the practice in 2017. I received a text message from a friend of mine three days ago, on my birthday. It was a picture of her 2016 Gratitude Box, a re-purposed Birchbox box. As it turns out, during my birthday brunch at the beginning of the year last year, I explained to my friends one of my resolutions for 2016 was to keep a gratitude jar. She really liked the idea and decided to keep one of her own. One of my happiest moment slips just so happened to be of a friend letting me know I had a profoundly positive impact on helping her have a positive year. By the very exercise of finding something for the day, or the week, to be happy about, it changes the mindset to focus on the abundance and beauty in life. If you want, keep one with me. She told me she is doing this again in 2017.
- I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of criticizing, sanctioning and moulding my life, is too much of a daily event for me. ~Anaïs Nin
- Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right. ~ Oprah Winfrey
- One of the huge mistakes people make is that they try to force an interest on themselves. You don’t choose your passions; your passions choose you. ~Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon
- Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away. ~Frida Kahlo
- For last year’s words belong to last year’s language. And next year’s words await another voice. ~T.S. Eliot
- Let our New Year’s resolution be this: We will be there for one another as fellow members of humanity, in the finest sense of the word. ~ Göran Persson
- And now we welcome the new year. Full of things that have never been. ~Rainer Maria Rilke
- Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. ~Albert Einstein
And because I will never admit, in person, that I am the sappiest, most ridiculous, swooniest, practically pathetic (as in could throw it all away) romantic: I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it’s not because I’m lonely, and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. ~Harry Burns (Nora Ephron)
I would love to hear from you. How are you starting your 2017?